We all know about Superman and consider him among the best heroes of all times. But he isn’t the only one! Here’s a list of the most popular superheroes. Check out the greatest superheroes and see if your favorite ones are on the list too.
So who is a superhero? Well, it could be good characters as well as baddies with questionable morals. It is just a larger than life character with special talents or a genius, who uses these abilities for protecting the public. Some are even common men or who used their genius for creating that persona, like Iron Man. Let’s move on to our Superheroes list!
Top 20 Well Known Superheroes of All Time
Thor – Leading the Most Powerful Superheroes and Villains
Who hasn’t heard of Marvel’s iconic character Thor?
- The hammer wielding god of thunder first debuted in 1962 Journey into Mystery.
- Thor is one of the founding members in The Avengers.
- Marvel later protected the character’s title The Mighty Thor with a trademark, due to its increasing popularity.
- When Thor wants to move from place to another, he throws the hammer and hangs on, while it pulls him to the destination.
Batman – Most Popular Superhero of all Time
He is DC comics superhero with the original name being The Bat-Man and is rightfully among the 20 most powerful superheroes.
- He goes by many other names, such as The Dark Knight; Caped Crusader; Bruce Wayne and so on.
- The character’s true identity is Bruce Wayne, a rich American playboy and philanthropist. As Batman, he protects the people of Gotham (a fictional city).
- He doesn’t have any inherent super powers but is strong and has good martial arts capabilities.
- Some of his famous titles are Batman; Batman and Robin; Batman Returns; The Dark Knight; The Dark Knight Rises; Batman v Superman; Justice League, among others.
He is a Marvel patriotic superhero debuting in 1941 during the World War II and ranks high among the most popular superheroes. He is among the top in the Marvel Superheroes list.
- He later became Steve Rogers, who gets the Super Soldier Serum to increase his stamina and strength. He can heal rapidly; view faster than a bullet; have improved mental abilities and respond quickly to problems.
- Captain America, one of the best superheroes, has many other identities, like William Nasland and James Buchanan Barnes or Bucky.
- He joined the team of The Avengers and even leads the team due to his experience in battle, sometimes as Rogers and at others as Sam Wilson.
Spider-Man is Marvel’s Peter Parker and the famed web slinger, also being the greatest superhero.
- Stan Lee created the character, which is actually the second spider-man, after seeing a fly crawl up the wall, a stick to the wall man.
- Our friendly Spider man loves Betty Brant; Gwen Stacy and later Mary Jane Watson.
- He has worked with the Hulk; Wolverine; Ghost Rider; X Men; The Outlaws and of course, with the Avengers.
The Hulk character was created in 1962 by Jack Kirby and Stan Lee and can hold his own among the top 20 strongest superheroes. He is one of the most powerful Marvel characters.
- Hulk is a huge green skinned humanoid (green Goliath) with an alter ego known as Bruce Banner (later renamed David Banner) who is a weak physicist.
- He turns into a monster when he gets angry. He then gets stronger and is able to leap huge distances and all other such powers, being one of the top 20 superheroes.
Must Read – List of the Best Horror Movies of all Time
Wolverine is a superhero who was created by Marvel, with healing powers and sharp, retractable claws.
- The character was first created to be a one time villain against the Incredible Hulk, but it soon became a superhero in the X Men team and became one of the top cash cows for Marvel.
- His claws are a part of his mutation.
- Hugh Jackman has been playing the role of Wolverine in X Men.
Marvel Studios first introduced Iron Man in the film by that name in 2008 and today it is among the most successful franchises with successes like Avengers: Infinity War and the Black Panther.
- The character of Tony Stark, a playboy millionaire, is played by Robert Downey Jr.
- Iron Man was able to do a lot for Marvel Studios with solid box office returns and successful sequels upon sequels.
- The Iron Man origins include a story where Tony Stark created his own suit when he was a prisoner in an Afghanistan cave.
- When he dons the Iron Man suit, he gets amazing power and strength.
Superman is one of the most famous and iconic superheroes of all time created by DC comics, standing for morality and justice. He goes out of his way in helping the people of the world and believes in law and order and is considered one of the physically strongest superheroes.
- The alter ego of Superman is called Clark Kent.
- He has extraordinary powers like super strength; speed; x-ray vision; super hearing and Super Flare amongst others.
- His only weakness is Kryptonite.
Catwoman – Superhero Girls
Catwoman has been the mainstay of DC comics for several years, being sometimes a hero and sometimes a villain.
- She is the love of Batman (the Dark Knight) having a complex and combative relationship with Batman.
- She is a cat burglar as well as a vigilante and has various origins in different movies. For instance, in Batman 1, she is a jewel thief.
He is Marvel’s superhero and part of the Avengers team, the character being created by Stan Lee.
- Loki is the God of Mischief from Asgard and the brother/enemy of superhero Thor.
- Sometimes, he is shown as an anti hero, while scheming against Thor or fighting against other heroes in the Marvel Universe committing several crimes.
- Now, he is one of the Young Avengers and ranks among the top 20 superheroes.
Female Superheroes – Black Widow
A character created by Marvel Comics, by Stan Lee.
- The character was first played by Natalia Alianovna Romanova.
- She was first introduced as being against the Iron Man and then became an agent of SHIELD, then part of the Avengers team.
- The role is played by Scarlett Johansson in the Iron Man 2; The Avengers Captain America; Age of Ultron and Civil War.
You May Like – Top 10 Most Beautiful Women in the World
A fictional superhero created by Marvel Comics and Stan Lee. Hawkeye, played by Jeremy Renner, first started out as a villain character and then joined the Avengers team.
- He has an accuracy enhanced characteristic, meaning that he is able to use projectile weapons without missing, being among the most powerful superheroes.
- He has the unique position of being part of Justice League as well as The Avengers.
- Hawkeye is a great fencer, marksman and also an acrobat, being trained in a circus from childhood.
He is a DC comic superhero, played by Jay Garrick; Barry Allen; Wally West and Bart Allen.
- Flash is faster than Superman. Flash gets his power from the Speed Force, so he is the fastest man alive.
- He is able to run with the speed of light. He is also able to think as quickly as he runs, so no one can read his thoughts.
- Flash has a wacky gadget, a time traveling treadmill that gets its power through cosmic rays.
I am Groot! This is the only vocabulary of the Groot, played by Vin Diesel, being a part of the Guardians of the Galaxy and created by Stan Lee for Marvel Comics.
- Groot is also called the Monarch of Planet X.
- He is in the form of a monster tree and is actually a lovable flora who can only say ‘I am Groot’.
- He has super strength, can control the flora surrounding him and can reconstitute himself time and again.
Marvel’s smallest heroes created by Stan Lee for Marvel Comics and can turn into a man the size of an ant.
- Ant Man, originally played by Michael Douglas, was was first introduced in the year 1962 by Marvel Comics. Later on, Ant Man was played by Paul Rudd.
- The second Ant Man is a thief, Scott Lang, who becomes a good guy.
- He is one of the founding members of the Avengers team.
- He is one of the only superheroes with a puny stature.
Aquaman is a DC superhero character with strong powers.
- He wears an orange jumpsuit, has a bad temper and talks to sea creatures using telepathy and even control them.
- He is one of the founding members in Justice League.
- He owns a powerful trident and has strength equal to the Superman.
- Aquaman can also breathe on land and talk to animals, being raised by dolphins.
Supergirl is a fictional superhero created for DC comics by Otto Binder, first appearing in The Supergirl from Krypton.
- She is the cousin of Superman.
- Her strength is increased when she gets the Red Lantern Ring.
- Supergirl might even be more powerful than Superman, according to the latter.
- She possesses great speed; stamina; flight; super breath; an x ray vision; freeze breath among other superhuman qualities.
Storm is part of the X Men team and has her own series. She is also one of the popular female superheroes.
- She is a black mutant in X Men.
- She has also appeared in other Marvel series, like Spider-man; Black Panther, amongst others.
- Storm belongs to the Omega level of mutants, who have the most incredible power.
One of Marvel’s most important superheroes but became mainstream only after The Avengers.
- Black Panther first debuted in the Fantastic Four in 1966.
- He is the king of Wakanda, a technologically advanced nation in Africa.
- Black-Panther has super strength that is increased by super technology, wearing a Vibranium uniform accompanied by claws and boots and other advanced tech.
Daredevil is a creation for Marvel Comics.
- He comes in a signature red suit with a horned mask.
- He is a blind orphan trained by Stick.
- He has also worked with the Black Widow (Daredevil and The Black Widow) as lovers and partners fighting crime.
Some More Famous Superheroes
- Silver Surfer
- Franklin Richards
- Black Bolt
- The Green Lantern
- Martian Manhunter
- Wonder Woman
- Professor X
- Mister Majestic
- Captain Atom
- Dr Manhattan
- Aqua man
- Captain Marvel
Most of the above superheroes belong to Marvel or DC Comics. They have been creating these and other superheroes for several decades. DC comics is one of the oldest comic book companies of America and so is Marvel, with a ton of superheroes, villains and powerful gods.
If you hold a most popular superhero poll, there is no doubt that all of these names would rank high on the list. However, no ranking of superheroes can do proper justice to the tons of characters that have been created over time, as there is surely likely to be some disagreement about which one is the best or the most popular. So who is your favorite superhero of all times?