The health benefits of avocados are renowned, but it arguably has the maximum fat content among fruits. The fat in avocado leads to the question ‘can avocados help you lose weight’? An avocado diet has been
proven to help reduce belly fat. Its fame is due to the fact that the fats present in it are the monounsaturated type, which makes it healthy and special.
Is Avocado a fruit or vegetable? Don’t go by the green color or its savory taste. An avocado is essentially a high protein, fleshy fruit and more specifically, a single seed berry.
Avocado: Good Fats and Bad Fats
Earlier research recommended avoiding foods that were high in fat, but that myth has now been busted. Eating fat doesn’t necessarily make you fat. Consider these facts:
- The hydrogenated fats present in vegetable oils, margarine can lead to obesity.
- Avocados contain monounsaturated fats.
- Such fats are useful in burning the energy of the body slowly, as against saturated fat.
- Monounsaturated fats are also not usually stored in the body in the form of fats.
- Oleic fatty acids present in avocados reduce LDL cholesterol levels in your blood and increase healthy HDL cholesterol levels.
- Monounsaturated fats in avocados also improve absorption of other nutrients that you get from other foods.
Avocados and Weight Loss – How to Lose Weight Eating Avocados
Weight Reduction Mission Using Avocados
Is Avocado good for weight loss? If you’re on a weight reduction mission, avocados just made it easy peasy for you! Avocados are the top pick among healthy foods to lose weight. This lush and buttery fruit has a unique fat content that can treat obesity. Check out these avocado recipes to reduce weight.
- There are several avocado benefits for weight loss. Avocados contain fiber combined with healthy fats. You feel satiated after eating avocados. This sends a message to the brain to switch off your appetite. It keeps you satiated and you end up cutting down on those sneaky after meal cravings.
- Monounsaturated fats in avocados helps release the fat stored in your body more easily.
- Avocados are a fibrous fruit that are low in carbohydrates, so it promotes weight loss when you incorporate them with a healthy diet plan.
- Improves bowel health and combats constipation problems. The fiber content in avocados helps digestion. In fact, it is even prescribed as a laxative.
- Note: One cup of avocado has 8 grams fiber (soluble and insoluble).
- The fruit is nutritionally dense. It is made up of 72% water and 7% of dietary fiber, a perfect combination for weight loss.
- They are considerably high in healthy fats, but it’s practically impossible to go overboard and overeat an avocado snack, as it satiates you very soon.
Going Beyond Guacamole: Unique Ways to Use Avocados
How to eat avocado to lose weight? Step up your avocado game with interesting avocado recipes. There’s more to avocados than guacamole. It’s not your only means to get your daily avocado fix. Avocados feature high among weight loss foods. There are many healthy, fast avocado snacks that you can make with this knockout fruit. Think salads; sandwiches; avocado soups; you get the idea! Here are some avocado recipes for weight loss.
- Try an avocado and smashed chickpea salad. Add a dash of crunchy sunflower seeds to get a low-calorie salad with saturated fat.
- Combine the fiber in avocados with the protein in hummus to make the most nutritious and fueling veggie sandwich ever. Spice it up with paprika or mustard sauce!
- Another salad with avocado spread, cucumber, tomato and basil for a flavorful lunch.
- Get your protein requirements with egg; bacon and sliced avocados on toast. Try a surprising twist with berries, pomegranates and sliced avocados on toast, to get the power of antioxidants.
- Add avocado to your soups chilled for a summer evening or hot on a wintry one. How about a zucchini and avocado soup or a spinach avocado combo soup?
- Combine avocados with blueberries; bananas; spinach; green apples; Kiwi; lime; orange; mangoes; or coconut to make amazing smoothies for weight loss.
Quick Avocado Diet Plans for Healthy Weight Loss
If you want to lose weight fast, try an avocado weight loss diet for a few days.
You could lose up to 5 pounds with this diet plan that includes a nutritious variety.
Breakfast: 4 ounces of cottage cheese with half an avocado.
Lunch: Avocado salad using half an avocado. Combine with salad greens, tomatoes and egg. Dress it up with the juice of a lime.
Dinner: Half an avocado with the same amount of cottage cheese. You could substitute cottage cheese with yogurt if you like. Add 5 ounces of fish/grilled chicken.
Tip: Drink a lot of water and avoid salt for faster weight loss. Enjoy!
Avocado a Fat Replacer?
Avocados are great as fat replacers.
- Swap saturated fat with avocados to scale up your weight loss program. For instance, you can spread avocado paste on your toast instead of mayonnaise, butter, cheese etc.
- Use avocados as salad dressing and give a miss to regular dressings that are high in calories.
- Be a health-conscious baker. Make a brownie with avocados instead of regular butter or shortening. And don’t worry! You won’t make green muffins substituting with avocados. Ditch butter and use avocados in the right proportion for chocolate chip cookies and banana bread too.
- Try these avocado swaps to make your meal healthier and also reduce your waist line.
Note: Mayonnaise contains about 100 calories in a single tbsp.
- You May Like – 10 Incredible Health Benefits of Drinking Warm Lemon Water
How Much Avocados is Too Much?
So now that you’ve checked out the endless amazing and tasty possibilities with avocados, how much is actually too much? How much avocado is healthy? There is something like eating too much of a good thing.
- Keep your daily fix to an average of half an avocado daily.
- Even though Avocados contain good fat, on an average, an avocado contains 250 calories and 21 grams of fat, which will contribute towards your daily calorie/fat quota.
- Try to stick to 30 grams of fat a day.
Tip: Another option is to eat an entire avocado and then limit other fats for the day.
Research shows that avocados are truly a super food that can reduce belly fat, which is the worst type of fat that you can have.
Try out these tasty ways to enjoy avocados and reduce your waist line and I bet you’ll be smitten with the homecoming queen in no time at all!