If you are looking forward to writing for a living then keep reading today’s post where I will tell you about the secrets of becoming a successful freelance writer.
These days there are lots of freelance writers who are known to make a living writing fiction or articles for the web.
If you are a freelance writer with no experience who wants to get paid for writing, then you have come to the right page. All you need to make a living by writing is a bit of passions and creativity and an internet connection.
Before you start to make a living as a freelance writer, you need to find out if your writing is any good.
How do You Know if Your Writing is Good?
- When people tell you that you have a flair for writing.
- When you look back and see how your writing style has improved.
- When your English is impeccable and you know what it takes to create an engaging and grammatically correct article.
- When you can figure out which writing is good and which ones are sloppy.
- When you have made it to the shortlist in a writing competition.
- When you get paid for your writing.
A Few Simple Ways to Make a Living as a Freelance Writer and Get Paid for Your Writing
Start a Blog
When it comes to freelance writing for beginners, the best thing to do is start a blog. A blog is your very own platform where you can sharpen your writing skills while developing an audience at the same time.
You can use your blog to make money writing short stories or write informative travel, healthcare, entertainment or lifestyle articles. Including a ‘hire me’ button on your blog can be a good idea since it would allow your viewers to know that you are willing to write for a living.
Write Guest Posts for Popular Journals, Magazines and Blogs
If you wish to make money writing articles, then you surely need to write free articles for some of the popular blogs and magazines.
Writing for a well-known publication would give you the much needed exposure. Although guest blogging isn’t going to generate much of an income, it is surely a proven way of getting leads for other paid writing jobs.
Moreover there are many consumer magazines which would pay you for writing feature articles. It’s true that you can’t expect a big moneymaking opportunity right away, but you need to make your way up the ladder by writing for small local magazines and slowly build your credibility on the go.
Become a Bestselling Kindle Writer
Thanks to Kindle and e-books, the market of self-published works is steadily on the rise. If you know how to come up with a good story then start working on an e-book on an interesting topic.
You need to be persistent and prolific to become an authorpreneur or a writer with the brain of an entrepreneur.
According to a report more than 1,600 indie writers are making over $25k from their book sales on Amazon.
Become a Conversion Focused Content Writer
To put it simply, copy-writing demands the skill and ability to make your readers take action. So start with writing product reviews, sales letters, press-releases etc. to build your credibility as a writer.
Make Use of the Content Mill Websites and Get Paid to Write Online
Those of you, who are just starting out on your freelance writing career, should start finding writing jobs on one of the writing sites that pay daily. Some of the best websites for freelance writers are:
- Upwork – The favourite site of freelancers of all kinds, Upwork is the place from where you can get plenty of work opportunities. If you are an expert writer with lots of good reviews and ratings then you are sure to get loads of exciting writing jobs with good pay. Moreover the sheer number of available jobs would give the beginners a chance to prove themselves.
- ConstantContent – Another important platform for freelance writers, this website would allow you to get paid to write articles from home. Mature writers can expect to get top dollars for their article. If you are good at article writing then you can charge over $100 for each article you write. However, make sure to sharpen your skills first since this site has a very strict editorial process.
- Freelancer – This freelancing platform comes with more than 100 categories of job for freelancers. Some clients on this site need over 500 articles to be written so make sure to create an account on this one.
- ContentMart – If you are a newbie who wish to write for a living online then creating a writer’s profile on ContentMart is also a good idea. Once you pass the advanced English test and successfully complete 10 projects, you get to become a verified writer on their website. One of the most popular website for freelance writers in 2017, this is one of the best places to get paid for writing jobs.
Wrapping it up
In conclusion it needs to be said that the demand for good content writers is ever increasing.
Good writers for specialized niches are not easy to find, so if you are good at creating interesting and original articles make sure to build up a solid profile on some of the most well-known freelance writing platforms.
Now that you know how to make money writing from home, it’s time for you to put in some efforts and land up with your first writing project. Don’t expect top dollars for your first project. In order to become one of the top paid writers, you need to first build your credibility and accrue some positive ratings and reviews from the clients.
Keep in mind that all the expert bloggers and article writers started as a novice, but the more you write the better you’re writing gets and the sooner you become a well-paid freelance writer.