When we think about including such veggies in our diet, broccoli is the first thing that comes to mind. When it comes to preserving broccoli, the most common question that arises is:
- Can you freeze raw broccoli?
- What is the best way to freeze broccoli?
Since broccoli grows in the cooler season it becomes necessary to freeze it in order to retain the nutrients and the flavor for a longer duration.
Blanching Broccoli for Freezing
One of the mandatory steps to follow before freezing broccoli is to blanch broccoli. Tiny caterpillars known as loopers are known to feast on broccoli. The process of blanching carried out before freezing fresh broccoli gets rid of these worms to a great extent.
There are mainly two ways of blanching before you freeze broccoli. They are –
- Steam Blanching
- Water Blanching
Steam Blanching Broccoli
- Cut the broccoli and clean it in order to prepare for steaming.
- Boil some water in a utensil and place the broccoli in a single layer inside a stem basket above.
- Blanching starts when you cover the water pot with a lid and the broccoli is cooked evenly. It takes about 5 minutes.
- After cooking fresh broccoli, place it in an ice bath and drain out the water after washing the broccoli thoroughly.
Water Blanching Broccoli
- Cut the broccoli into nearly same-sized pieces and put them in boiling water at least for 3 minutes.
- Before placing the broccoli add some salt in the water to increase its boiling point and ensure an efficient cooking.
- After the broccoli becomes soft and is evenly cooked in water, place it in an ice bath.
- Drain the water.
If you wish to check out the details of blanching broccoli, check this out!
Can You Freeze Broccoli Now?
Of course! After draining the water, quickly dry the broccoli and transfer it to the freezer. If you are thinking about how to store broccoli then after freezing it in a tray you can shift the frozen broccoli into airtight bags.
Just remember, if you freeze broccoli without letting it dry thoroughly it will form a large mass and will be difficult to separate.
Vegan Broccoli Recipes – How to Prepare Broccoli
When you are done with freezing broccoli, the biggest question that comes up is how to eat broccoli.
Let us take a look at these easy broccoli recipes that throw light upon some really innovative ways to cook broccoli.
Wash and dry the broccoli and place it in 425 degrees F preheated oven. After coating the broccoli with olive oil, sprinkle some salt and pepper and flip each piece to ensure that it is baked evenly.
Broccoli Salad with Avocados and Lime
Another wonderful thought on how to make broccoli is to make a nutritious salad. Cut up avocados with boiled or baked broccoli and put some lime on it. Sprinkle some salt and pepper to enjoy a delicious and beneficial salad.
Vegan Pizza Topping
Top your vegan pizza or burger with broccoli and sprinkle some of your favorite herbs.
So, these were some of the best frozen broccoli recipes for vegans. You can also check out some more delicious recipes here.
Freezing Cooked Broccoli
Freezing cooked broccoli will extend its shelf life to a great extent. Store the cooked broccoli in airtight freezer bags or wrap it properly in aluminum foils in a freezer.
This will help the veggie (broccoli) last for about 10-12 months in a state of good quality. If proper storage is done it can last longer, but it is best to use it within this duration as the quality might degrade after that.
According to a case study, broccoli is considered a miracle food. So, if you include it in your diet in some way or the other, it will result in an improved overall health.