Mold is a scary 4-letter word to most homeowners. Not only because it can be damaging to your house, but because it can affect the health of you and your family.
There are over 4 million cases of asthma attributed to mold alone. Not to mention all the other respiratory conditions and illnesses that mold spores can cause.
So how do you know if mold is causing you and your family to get sick? Especially if it is hiding somewhere in your house.
Let’s look at 8 tips on how to detect mold that may be hiding in your home.
Your Asthma Is Acting up
Mold spores in the air find their way into your lungs. Though most species of household mold won’t bother the majority of people. But for those who have a pre-existing breathing condition, it can trigger a reaction.
If your asthma is giving you trouble for no known reason, you may have cause for concern.
Especially if your asthma only flares up when you’re at home for long periods of time. And it seems to die down when you leave the house.
Your Skin Is Itchy, Tingling, or Has a Rash
Some people can have an allergic reaction to mycotoxins produced by mold. When this happens, your skin will feel itchy, tingling, or you could develop a rash.
You may not realize that mold can grow in your clothes or on towels. When left damp, either in bathrooms or hanging on an indoor rack to dry, mold can infest the fibers of the item. And when it comes into contact with your skin, it can cause irritation.
Your Paint or Wallpaper Is Bubbling Off the Wall
Have you ever noticed paint bubbling off the walls in your bathroom? Or wallpaper peeling near a window? It may be more than unsightly, it could be a precursor to mold.
Moisture is the main cause of wall damage. Especially in areas of the home that have exposure to moisture for long periods of time.
You need to get inside the walls to figure out where the moisture is coming from. Whether it be a broken pipe, leaky window, or not enough ventilation. Fixing the source of the moisture rather than hiding the damage is the only way to stop mold from growing.
There’s a Musty Odor in Your Home
If there’s a noticeably musty smell in your home that won’t go away, it could be a sign of mold. Especially if the smell seems stronger in one room or even one corner of the house.
The musty odor is from the moisture mold thrives in. And from the decay and damage mold can do to drywall or other materials in your house.
If you can’t find the source of the smell, it’s time to put your mop down and call in a mold expert.
Your Floor Feels Squishy
A soft spot in your flooring may be fun for your kiddos to bounce on but could be hiding a not-so-fun health hazard.
Moisture under your flooring causes it to be wet or “soggy”, making the area feel soft. If you can check for the moisture by accessing it through a basement or crawl space, that’s the easiest and less invasive way. But if not, you’re going to have to pull up that section of flooring.
You want to stop the growth and spread of any mold by replacing damaged material. But if you catch it early enough, you’ll save yourself a lot of money by using mold cleaner to solve the issue.
You Have a Cold That Doesn’t Seem to Go Away
Dealing with a runny nose or congestion is annoying. But having cold symptoms that don’t seem to go away could signal something worse.
If you’re experiencing what seems like a chronic cold, start paying attention to when your symptoms feel the worst. If you’re having trouble at home but your symptoms ease when you leave, that’s a big sign it might be mold.
When you discover more about how mold can affect the health of you and your family, you’ll know how important it is to get rid of once and for all.
There’s a Weird Smell in Your Chimney
One place many people would never expect to find mold in their homes is in the chimney. But if you notice an odd smell coming from your chimney stack, it could be telling you just that.
Broken caps and leaky flashing allow rainwater to seep into the chimney. And since mold loves dark and damp places to live, it becomes the perfect breeding ground. The porous surface of brick and mortar provide an ideal area to grow and spread.
First, you’ll need to fix any broken or leaky fixtures allowing water to get in. Then call out a chimney sweep to extinguish any mold that may be present.
You Find Dark Stains on Your Walls or Ceilings
Peeling or bubbling paint isn’t the only sign that mold may be lurking behind your walls. Stains can also tell you that something is wrong.
Mold grows in all shapes, sizes, colors, and textures. So just because something doesn’t look like obvious mold doesn’t mean it isn’t.
Periodically check the walls and ceilings of your house. Especially in areas you don’t usually do, such as closets and the basement. Look for any staining or discoloration that is forming.
And if you find some, it’s time to start searching for the source of the moisture. Leaky roof or pipes, broken ventilation, and drippy windows are common culprits.
Knowing How to Detect Mold Can Save the Health of You and Your Family
Mold can be sneaky. Hiding out in areas of your home without you even realizing it. But when you know how to detect mold, you can knock the health hazard out once and for all.
Think a leaky roof may be causing mold to grow in your home? Check out these tips to help you discover where it’s coming from!